News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie!

Started by speedjunkie, October 26, 2005, 03:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedjunkie

Hello all.  I've been lurking here for only about a week but am pleased with the knowledge and civility of this board!

A little about myself.  I currently ride an '05 FJR1300/ABS.  I've had it about 15 months and have about 22K miles on it.  I've been very happy with the FJR, but I've always had a longing to do some adventure touring.  

Recently, while on vacation, I ran across a guy from New Hampshire.  He was riding a Aprilla Capnocord(sp).  I asked him about it and explained my desires.  He mentioned he owned a Tiger as well and to check one out, I wouldn't be disappointed.  I wish I would have gotten his name, because I really want to say, THANK YOU!!!!

Today I went down to the local dealer and rode a demo '05.  All I can say is WOW!!!  I'm totally blown away by the overall competance of this bike!  It rode very well, had better than average wind protection, even with that little screen, and took the bumps quite nicely!  Not to mention power to spare!  Although the stock seat has GOT to go!  That thing is BAD!!  Of course I do have a Russell on my FJR tho.

I had planned on waiting until next spring/summer when the FJR is paid for and just adding the Tiger to the stable, but now I'm not so sure.  I'm having serious difficulties determining whether the FJR does any one thing THAT much better than the Tiger, that would make me keep her instead of letting her go.   I told the dealer this, and he wants me to come back tomorrow and talk turkey.  Guess we'll see.  

Thanks all, and all comments are welcome!

Mike
\'01 LC4 640E

\'06 Triumph Tiger

djr

welcome to the jungle m8.

I personally would think that for serious distance on the highway the fjr would edge the Tiger. For fun in the twisties it would be tied, offroading no contest, general riding both good.

So I suppose it depends on what you plan to dojourney wise.

Clemski

Hi,

I have just joined the forum as well, thinks it's A.O.K. I purchased my Tiger new 18 months ago, have covered 25,000 miles on her, and to me there,s no better bike, agree with you about the seat, treated my self to a Triumph Gel seat, brilliant. :P
Just love riding my Tiger, anywhere and everywhere.

Chris Canning

I use my Tiger for one thing,and thats long distance trips,500/600 mile days i've(we've) lost track of,have done at least five trips of over 3000 miles,with a 19 tooth sprocket it really is one of the great mile munchers.

The seat may be a problem,most of those miles have been on a stock seat that we've been fairly happy with,recently bought a gel seat,it's certainley different,but i'm not sure if it's any better.

I have to say have always wonder about people buying FJR's and Pan European Hondas,may be ok on a cold winters night here in the Uk,but for travelling across Europe the thought of being stuck behind a barn door of a fairing on a sunny day has never appealed.

For day trips out,and short runs across the channel use a different bike,but the Tiger still has over 20,000 miles on it.

Chris

speedjunkie

Well, an update.

I'm picking up my new '05 at the local dealer for $10.2 OTD tomorrow!  So, who makes the best seat?  Stock one has GOT to go.  Who makes the best crash bars?  I like the looks of the Happy Trails, but the price is kinda high.  Is there an adapter plate that can be used to mount my GIVI 52L topbox to the stock rack, will I have to fab one, or am I stuck with the Tiger box.  Thanks in advance.  

Mike
\'01 LC4 640E

\'06 Triumph Tiger

Speed3guy

Welcome!  I can't ride my tiger enough--I bought it in late March and now have 9k miles on it!  Touratech makes nice crashbars, but there's no skidplate option.  

As for the topbox, I just used the standard Givi topbox mount plate that I already had.  It's not the universal mesh style, but the more svelte style with the slots.  If you set in on the stock tiger rack with the forward edges approximately lined up, you'll notice that the screw slots in the Givi rack are over the outside rails of the Triumph rack.  I drilled and tapped 2 1/4-28 holes in the Triumph rack and mounted the Givi one on top of it.  If you're squeemish about drilling a hole in your new motorcycle, you could just get a couple of U-bolts and nuts and put it on that way.  The plastic caps that cover the screws on the Givi rack won't work that way though.  Good luck!  Let me know if you'd like photos.

Guy

speedjunkie

Guy, photos would be a great help, thanks!  Yeah, I saw the Touratech stuff as well, but man!  The Happy Trails stuff sure looks to be the dogs danglies!  Later.

Mike
\'01 LC4 640E

\'06 Triumph Tiger

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "speedjunkie"The Happy Trails stuff sure looks to be the dogs danglies!  Later.

Mike

Dog's Danglies!  That's an awesome expression of positive affirmation! I must add this to the local vernacular.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and congrats on a choice well made.  Nothing wrong with the FJR on the whole, no doubt, and the same can be said about the Tiger.  I've maintained from the begining of my relationship with Triumph that the Tiger is not the absolute top of any one catagory, but is is darn good across the board...thus the nomenclature: All-Arounder.

Enjoy your new ride and welcome to the Isle Side.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

speedjunkie

Well, how about seats then.  I'm still looking at aftermarket seats, although the stock one is getting better.  Just needed to reposition a bit.  Everytime I ride this thing, it just reconfirms that I made the right choice.  Later.

Mike
\'01 LC4 640E

\'06 Triumph Tiger

Patrick the Scot

Quote from: "speedjunkie"Well, how about seats then.  I'm still looking at aftermarket seats, although the stock one is getting better

I find the stock seat acceptable.  It is not a Corbin, but then it did come with the bike and did not cost an extra $600.  I think the Tigers seat is good enough to go either way, replacement or stay OEM, i.e. only when I've done all other mods would I change out the seat. If I do change out, it would be to a Corbin.

I you want to sit on a bad seat on an expensive bike ride a KTM Adventure. You will be begging to get off that crazy torture device in about 10 minutes.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

waltconrad

I have a Corbin seat, it's better than the stock seat but I'm up on tiptoes now ,with the stock seat I was flat footed on the ground.I'm 6' and have a 32" inseam. It's easy to tip the Tiger over if you don't have firm footing to begin with and then put your foot down on gravel or sand. In my opinion Taking the Tiger off road is for the highly skilled dirt rider only. For trail riding a 250 is hard to beat.
"Love means never having to say your sorry." Richard M. Nixon.

gazoo

Congrats on the new ride!  You're going to love it.

As you can see from the responses here, what seat is "best" really comes down to personal preference and what your butt tells you.  Some people are happy with the stock seat.  Some say the Triumph Gel seat is the way to go.  Others insist that Corbin is the best.

The stock seat on my last bike (ZZR1200) was terrible, and everyone said "Get a Corbin", so I did.  It was hard as a brick, but everyone said it would break in and be great.  15,000 miles later, it was still a brick.  Its not that Corbin makes a bad product - I just didn't like mine.

For now I'm OK with stocker on the Tiger.  Could it be more comfortable?  Sure, but I'm not going to buy a replacement seat until I have a chance to sit on the Corbin and the Gel.

In the meantime, I put on a "Butt Buffer" from Alaska Leather.  I just did a two-day 1000 mile trip up to Wisconsin and it made a huge difference.  Another option is the AirHawk.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your decision!

jp4evr

Quote from: "speedjunkie"Well, how about seats then.  I'm still looking at aftermarket seats, although the stock one is getting better.  Just needed to reposition a bit.  Everytime I ride this thing, it just reconfirms that I made the right choice.  Later.

Mike

Go with the Corbin... Depending on how long your legs are you might have to get some foam / filler shaved from the inner thigh area.  I'm 5'10" and about 31" inseam and it's toes for two feet or flat for one.  Also depends on your suspension settings.  

Anyway, I did 750 miles in 100F temp and i only had one sore spot and I think that was because of my jeans bunching.  

Worth the $$$

that's the best pic i can find of the seat.  perforated leather pilot / pillion.
2000 TIGER - Current - finally....

2000 TT600 - now my wife\'s ring

1997 CBR 600F2 - sold

1998 Suzuki - Bottom of ravine - Oops!

Big Doug

Glad you have a tiger. I just did 10k+ on my '98 w/ a Corbin seat and I can still walk. I'm 6'7" and 65 years so I'm stiffer that most. The best seat maker's name is Mayer and he lives in Ojai, CA. Probably on the internet. I rode many miles on my FJ1100 and would say that the Tiger is reasonably comparable in long range comfort. I have fitted "road pegs" to the engine guard; I couldn't have made the ride w/o them. Happy trails, Big  Doug

BykBoy

Quote from: "speedjunkie"Who makes the best crash bars?  I like the looks of the Happy Trails, but the price is kinda high.  Is there an adapter plate that can be used to mount my GIVI 52L topbox to the stock rack,

Mike

Check out Thunderbike in NZ. They make great engine, sump, radiator, oil cooler and headlight guards. The also make other cool stuf for the big cat. Everythings is top notch, especially the crash bars. Service is great even though they are half way around the world. They also have GIVI adapter plates.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE